Monday, September 17, 2007

Ventura County Star


Don't you just LOVE this picture? You'll love the story behind it even more...Here it goes- So last Monday I get a note sent home from Kody's teacher saying that it was patriotic day (September 11th) the next day and to have Kody dressed in "patriotic clothing." For those of you who don't know- Kody goes to a private school where "dressing up" is considered a BIG deal. They have to wear uniforms to school so when they get a chance to wear something different- kids (and the parents) go ALL OUT! Any ways, The next morning I get Kody up for school and start gathering his "patriotic outfit" for him to wear. (I didn't have much) I found some red and white striped pajama bottoms (thanks to Grandma's Christmas tradition last year) and a blue cute off tank top. (a little WT I know, but hey- it was all I had.) As he was getting dressed I came across a package of markers and I had a brilliant idea. *Cover him in marker!* So on went the USA with stars down his arms, and then the best part- I made his face into one giant flag. He was sooooo excited and kept telling me that "he was for sure going to win!" (even though there wasn't a competition) So I picked him up from school and I said "So...how'd it go today?" And he says "I guess I won, because I was the only kid in my class to dress up!" Leave it to me to get him all dressed up and not have anyone else do it.
So after school we had a Patriotic Walk to Remember that we had planned to participate in (very cool for those of you who love around here) and I let him keep all his garb on. We are sitting there listening to the speakers talk about 9/11 and all of a sudden a man comes on my left and squats down next to me- whips out his camera and starts snapping pics of Kody. A LOT of pics.
Kody in the mean time is NOT thinking this is very cool and starts acting like some lethargic weirdo laying on the chairs and falling off and being loud. I'm sitting there trying to get him to behave without Mr. CameraHappy thinking I am being mean. I didn't exactly want Kody to look at him and pose- but come on, he's 7. He can sit up! Then comes the real kicker- he starts to play with his gum! Stretching it in and out of his mouth meanwhile Mr.CH is snap snaping away!
So after litterally 10 minutes (no joke) and probably 100+ pictures later, he tells me that he is from the Ventura County Star and asks for Kodys information. So above is the pic of Kody that was in the paper the next day! THE GUM PICTURE!!! Only my family would have that picture picked out! Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

gingerdee said...

love it! such a funny story! what did the caption say? Kody looks very cute, despite the string of gum...wish I could see the whole outfit. nice job on the marker-flag face!